Is your Online Image Career-Ready?
Employers check social media sites just like they check references.
While LinkedIn is touted as the professional social media site to use in the job search, only 46% of hiring managers screened their applicants through it.
76% of hiring managers checked in on applicants on Facebook.
53% of hiring managers looked into applicants on Twitter.
69% of recruiters reported that they rejected a job candidate based on something they saw on the applicant’s social media profile
Assume your future boss will see anything you’ve posted publically. Here are tips to clean and polish your online image.
1. Have a current LinkedIn page with a professional looking photo
2. List your career education and any certificates you have- include in-progress
3. Consider all your privacy settings- FB just for friends is smart
4. Remove photos and tagged photos that show behavior that could cost you a job
5. Remove language you would not use on the job
6. Remove any tweets/posts/blogs that comment negatively on past jobs/co-workers