Managing your reputation...online
In the age of the Internet, it’s important to understand how social media can affect the outcome of future job opportunities. Here’s some advice on how to build a brand for yourself and manage your online reputation.
1. You don’t control your own reputation – others do based on their values and the signals you send them.
2. Perception = reality. What others perceive isyour reputation, whether you like it or not.
3. Trust is everything– the perceptions you create open some doors and close others. Make sure they’re the ones you intend.
4. Social media is forever – 79% of employers check applicants’ online/social networks and 70% say they rejected candidates based on what they found.
5. Nothing is private– information that is online can be viewed by anyone. Check your digital footprint by Googling yourself and see what you find.
6. Build your digital footprint – use social networks to build content that will cast you in a positive light.