You’re the perfect fit for the job. You know it. But how do you convince the hiring manager without sounding like you’re bragging? Follow these 5 steps and show them why you’ll make an awesome employee.
1) Build a great resume and tweak it to fit the job. Make sure your resume reflects the very best of who you are and what you can do. Format it simply without funky fonts or unnecessary clutter. Include relevant jobs and experience, highlighting times you were given extra responsibility. Do not opt for a one-size-fits-all resume. Take a look at the job posting and add its language directly to your resume. Nothing says a perfect fit like the perfect words.
2) Display confidence. That starts with good posture, a firm handshake, and direct eye contact. It’s silent bragging that makes a great first impression. Let the company know that you believe in your own abilities, so they can too. And give real-world instances from your life that back up your words with proof.
3) Share your accomplishments. Give examples from previous jobs where you went above and beyond what was expected of you. Match those actions as closely as you can to the job you’re applying for. Include non-work accomplishments too. Whether from a sport you played, an organization you belong to, or a cause you champion, what makes you most proud?
4) Have a can-do attitude. Be ready to accept any challenges they throw your way. But don’t exaggerate; instead highlight transferrable skills. For example, if you’ve worked a cash register you probably understand a bit about transactions and balances. How would that help you in a business career? Or if you work well with people, how could that turn into a great bedside manner for a healthcare career?
5) Bring great references. There’s no better way to brag than to let others do it for you. Make sure to give examples of people you’ve worked for who think you’re fantastic. Former employers are a good place to start, but coaches, teachers, clergy members, and family friends can all speak to your integrity, knowledge, and abilities. Allow them to do just that.
At Career Quest Learning Centers, we know it’s not just about having the right qualifications for a position; you need to know how to get the job. We have programs in Business, Healthcare, Information Technology, and Paralegal Studies. Is one right for you? Give us a call in Mt. Pleasant at 877-345-8505, Lansing at 877-481-4930 or Jackson at 877-365-8144 to learn more now.