I decided to go to school so that I knew my son would have a secured future.
Online Medical Billing and Coding School Grand Rapids MI
Posted: March 23, 2021
Every day, those working in the healthcare field make a positive impact on their communities. One popular career path in the healthcare field is medical billing and coding—a medical administrative role that’s essential for medical practices.
When looking for a medical billing and coding school near Grand Rapids, MI, let Career Quest Learning Centers provide you with the map to long-term career success. Ready to earn a medical billing and coding certificate in as little as 8 months? Keep reading to see how Career Quest makes that possible.
About Our Online Medical Billing and Coding Program near Grand Rapids MI
Did you know that there’s a code for every medical symptom, diagnosis, and treatment? With thousands of different codes, it takes a highly trained individual to excel as a medical biller and coder. Thankfully, our medical billing and coding school near Grand Rapids, MI, sets students up for success with an in-depth program.
Some of the courses included in this program are:
- Allied Healthcare Procedures
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Administrative Compliance
- Billing and Coding Procedures
Enhanced Education with Industry-Recognized Medical Billing and Coding Certificates
Professional medical billing and coding certificates are a great way to show future employers that you have the necessary skills to excel in the medical billing and coding world. Some of the certificates that students can earn in tandem with their medical billing and coding certificate are:
- Billing and Coding Specialist
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- EKG Technician
Valuable Externship Experience
Our medical billing and coding school also requires that all students in our program complete an externship in the Grand Rapids, MI, area. This is a fantastic opportunity to get on-the-job experience and training as a medical biller and coder. This hands-on experience also ensures that our students have confidence in their real-world abilities when it’s time for them to start their new career.
Is the Medical Biller and Coder Role a Good Job for MI Professionals?
Like many roles in the medical field, the medical biller and coder career is expected to grow faster than average in the next 10 years. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has forecasted that medical records and health information technician jobs are expected to grow 8% between 2019 and 2029.*
This faster-than-average growth makes medical billing and coding a very stable career with plenty of long-term security.
What Does a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Do?
What is medical billing and coding? Medical billers and coders are essential team members at any medical practice. It’s their job to translate all the exam notes and treatments into one universal medical code. Since these two responsibilities go hand-in-hand, they’re often performed by the same person.
Check out our blog post: 7 Qualities You Need to Succeed in Medical Billing and Coding
Medical Coding Responsibilities
After a physician completes an exam, it’s the medical coder’s job to translate this information into the universal medical code to send to a patient’s insurance company. A day’s work as a medical coder may look similar to this:
- Reading through the physician’s notes
- Translating notes into the correct numerical and alphanumerical codes
- Updating patient charts with these codes
Medical Billing Responsibilities
After the medical coding is done, the medical billing process starts. Some of the daily responsibilities of a medical biller may include:
- Verifying insurance eligibility and benefits
- Creating an insurance claim
- Billing the patient after receiving the insurance claim
- Following up on delinquent bills
Career Advancement as a Medical Biller and Coder
If you love your career as a medical billing and coding specialist, there are many advancement opportunities available to you. Many medical billers and coders have the potential to grow into the position of a medical office manager, who is responsible for the back office of a medical practice.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the field of medical and health service managers to grow by 32% between 2019 and 2029.+ That’s an awful lot of opportunity to capitalize on!
Where Do Medical Billing and Coding Specialists Work?
With so many types of providers accepting and using insurance, there are many places a medical billing and coding specialist could work. While the majority work in hospitals, there are many others who work in physician’s offices, therapy practices, and more. Some of the most common places medical billers and coders work include:
- Offices of physicians
- Nursing care facilities
- Therapy practices
- Chiropractic offices
- Dental offices
With lifetime career placement assistance from our Career Services Department, we’ll be here to help you secure the role you want in the setting you want.
Skills You’ll Need as a Medical Biller and Coder
As a medical billing and coding specialist, there are several skills you’ll want to master as you embark on your exciting new career path. These are skills that you’ll learn at our medical billing and coding school near Grand Rapids, like:
- An understanding of medical terminology
- Basic accounting and bookkeeping
- How to use and assign the appropriate medical codes
- How to create and process invoices
- Basic computer skills and data entry
- An understanding of medical billing software
- An understanding of fair debt collection practices
Other Skills You’ll Need
Of course, not all the skills you’ll use in your medical billing and coding career can be learned in the classroom. Many more soft skills are gained with on-the-job experience, like an externship. These skills include:
- Attention to detail
- Communication abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Problem-solving capabilities
- The ability to work as part of a team
Should I Be a Medical Biller and Coder?
A career as a medical billing and coding specialist can be highly rewarding. To find out if this program and our career training model are right for you, you can take our Career Training Readiness Quiz online. You’re also welcome to contact our Admissions team to learn more about our program and how it can help you reach your goals.
You can also consider the qualities that those best-suited to this role tend to possess. For example, medical billing and coding specialists tend to be:
- Knowledgeable about basic human anatomy
- Able to work independently
- Discreet and respectful of patient privacy
- Relatively tech savvy
- Good at communicating
So, what do you think? Are you interested in learning about the inner workings of a medical practice? Are you passionate about helping patients receive necessary and important insurance payments for their procedures? Then you’re likely a good fit for a medical billing and coding career!
Jobs for Medical Billers and Coders in Grand Rapids MI
After earning a medical billing and coding certificate, graduates have the skills needed to excel in a variety of healthcare positions. Potential career paths include:
- Medical office receptionist
- Health insurance processor
- Billing/coding specialist
- Medical records and health information technician
- Health claims specialist
- Insurance coder
- Medical records specialist
How to Become a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist
If medical billing and coding is the right career path for you, then there are a few steps you can take to begin your new role:
- Enroll in a medical billing and coding program
- Receive any applicable certifications
- Complete an externship to receive on-the-job training and experience
When you enroll in our medical billing and coding school near Grand Rapids, you’ll have our experienced team behind you every step of the way. We’ll make sure you’re doing everything you need to start your new career in the medical field.
Benefits of the Medical Billing and Coding Program at Career Quest
When enrolling with Career Quest, Grand Rapids students gain more than a certificate. They also have the support of our Career Services Department team from day one. We provide services that can help prepare students to enter the workforce. Some of the services we offer include:
- Resumé and cover letter writing support
- Interview tips and mock interviews
- Career search assistance
We also offer lifetime career placement assistance. This means that no matter how long ago a student graduated from our program, they can still visit the Career Services Department when in need of a new role.
Other Benefits of Enrolling in Our Medical Billing and Coding School
In addition to the assistance we offer students in our Career Services Department, we offer many other services throughout your time at our medical billing and coding school near Grand Rapids, MI, like:
- Financial assistance to all eligible students Everyone who applies can speak with a member of our Financial Aid department to discuss possible tuition discounts and make a plan.
- Online classes that work with your busy schedule by offering flexibility in how and where you meet your weekly deadlines.
- Inclusive tuition that covers everything you’ll need for your coursework. That means no additional fees for books or other classroom materials.
- A specially designed curriculum that reflects what employers are looking for today. Plus, all our classes are taught by professionals who are currently working in their field.
- Small class sizes to ensure you get the attention you need to succeed.
Enroll in Our Online Medical Billing and Coding School near Grand Rapids MI Today
At Career Quest, we have new medical billing and coding school classes starting every five weeks. That means it’s always the perfect time to learn medical billing and coding to jumpstart your new career.
What are you waiting for? Contact us to enroll today!